Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Frennish

Frennish n. - Language spoken (usu. in frustration) consisting of a mixture of Spanish and French. It tends to be spoken by those who speak Spanish as a second language and are currently learning French. Frennish is created spontaneously; e.g., When one doesn't know a word in French, Spanish emerges as a hopeful substitute (usu. tweaked with an American idea of a French accent) in an attempt to communicate intelligibly.

I can finally breathe. Since my oral presentation's been gone, I can breathe for the first time. I'm so movin' on (yeah, yeah). Thanks to it, I can sit, and not hyperventilate . . . since it's been gone.

My presentation was okay, I guess. I made beaucoup d'erreurs, but it's part of learning a language. I talked about immigration, and it definitely got the class discussing. I was considering moving down a level, but I think I'm sticking with it. I'm kind of used to my class and schedule now . . . I kind of prefer to stay. Sticking with it will probably make me work harder.

What's hilarious about French is that when Americans use French in the US, they're either trying to be funny, sarcastic, or trying to put on airs. But here, it's for real. When people say that such and such is magnifique, they're being for real, not exaggerating and trying to be funny. Or if someone is unsure whether you're talking to them, and they say moi? they're being serious.

It's so cute that I ate ratatouille (like the Disney movie) and real potatoes au gratin and foie gras (enlarged liver from a force-fed duck). I don't mean to say force feeding a duck is cute, I'm just saying it's one of those French things you always hear about that I've actually had. It's cute that people really do walk around wearing berets. It's cute saying oui, oui.

The cuteness will probably wear off soon, but I'll enjoy it for now.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

C'est bonne, mon amie! Je suis intéressée à entendre parler de tes aventures à Tours. Pardon moi, je n'écris pas bien. Maintenant, j'écris en anglais!

Just this morning, I submitted my assitantship application to the cultural services of the French Embassy. If I were selected for the program, I would get to spend 7-9 months in France teaching English. I've had several friends who've participated, and my college French prof recommended me, despite my lack of proficiency in the language because she knows I will improve fast when the pressure's on. So keep the French lessons coming this way! You know, they say the best way to learn a subject is to teach it.

La bonne chance dans tes études!

chantell said...

Hey, Rebecca,

Thanks for stopping by! Awesome that you might get to come to teach English! I hope that all works out for you.

Um, I have a feeling that you have more French lessons to give to me than I would have to give to you, but I'll definitely continue to keep you posted on mes aventeurs! Merci beaucoup et bonne chance a toi aussi!

MotherT said...

I've had a similar experience, only it involves speaking Spanglish. What is hilarious is when some of my Spanish-speaking customers forget an English word about the same time I lose my grasp of Spanish. The results can be quite comical.

chantell said...

It happens to the best of us. I didn't know you spoke Spanish!