So where does that leave me, especially at the dinner table? I have taken on my new role as cheerleader/translator/mediator.
It's super rude to speak English with Madame at the table, so I try to coax my new house mate into speaking French by answering her in French and speaking really slowly to encourage her (cheerleader). But if she's at a loss and insists on English, then I have to restate what she just said to Madame (translator). And if she asks questions that could be taken as rude or says something that could be taken out of context, or if there's a topic like payment that comes up that could get a little touchy, then I have to state things in a way where it could be understood and not taken the wrong way (mediator).
Who would have thought that in less than a month after being here, that I could in any way function as a go-between?
1 comment:
Me! :-) Chantell you are so intelligent, smart AND compassionate! I'm not surprised at all that you are "in the trenches", so to speak, with your French experience!!! I mean, you only have six months, and, girl, it sounds like you have jumped in with both feet and I'm lovin' it!!! :-) You are so extraordinary! You are!
Post a Comment