Monday, May 19, 2008

Commencement

Today was commencement at my place of employment. It's a small private school and all of the teachers participate. The whole faculty dons cap and gown and those little stoles that nearly choke you which display the colors representing your alma mater. I'm so schizophrenic. I graduated from Alabama and now I'm going to Auburn for grad school. All of my UA grad co-workers are telling me, "Don't forget where you've come from," and all of my AU grad co-workers are telling me, "You've finally made the right choice! War Eagle!"

It finally started to sink in that this was the last time I'd be participating in commencement at the place I've called home for 3 years. This was my first real job. Though I'm ready to move on, I know I'm going to miss it.

It's amazing how things change. It's amazing how worries that once heartwrenchingly consumed you are so easily forgotten. How something unheard of can transform into the familiar. How hesitation can give way to embrace. Even though I'm going through this weird, transitional period, somehow, the prospect of the future doesn't trouble me as it has done in the past. Instead, it makes me giddy with expectation.

No comments: