Saturday, April 12, 2008

Saturday

Saturday is the day I can wake up whenever I want.

I can cook myself a late breakfast (further honing my future breakfast-making skills).

I can assess the disaster that is my room, my kitchen and my hair, and can contemplate what I'm going to do about it over a mug of chai tea latte.

Saturday is my day to regroup, balance my checkbook, and buy stamps to send off hand-written cards. (I like my handwriting and I like sending cards.)

Saturday is when I can lounge on my pear green couch, laptop on my lap, to catch up on all the political banter and blog.

I can think about starting one of two papers. One is a five-pager and one is a ten-pager. I think I'll tackle the five-pager first. (Sigh.) I also have to at least start researching for the ten-pager. Saturday keeps flipping the switch on me. It starts out all shiny and golden with a velvet, soothing voice saying, You have all the time in the world. Enjoy me. But before I know it, Saturday turns into this drill sargeant barking, You have a million and one things to do! Get up off your derriere!

But, but Saturday . . . there's a lot I want to think about. I just want to go to the park and feed the ducks and stare out into space and wander around and have "realizations" about things that I can then blog about. But you have to watch your online class! You don't have time to indulge in spaciness. Okay, Saturday, you win. But I refuse to let you bully me out of a brunch of biscuits, bacon and eggs. Naw. Before "Saturday guilt" gets the best of me, let's recap:

1. One of my main girls is getting married and I'm the maid of honor. Right after that, I'm going to Spain. In other words, I'm really excited and I'm going to be hemorrhaging US dollars. (And with our wretched economy, it takes $1.58 of them to make up 1 euro. Which will bode very suckily for me while abroad.)

2. Oh, and right after that, I'm moving to Auburn. I really wish I had a rich uncle right about now.

3. I'm nearly 100% sure that my friend from Peru is going to get my position. She's taught a class of 1st graders and a class of 6th graders while being observed by administrators, and she did an awesome job.

4. My heart has been a lot less heavy as of late, and my tear ducts are really enjoying their time off.

5. I'm starting to look at the swirling tide of events ahead of me with anticipation instead of fear. Yes, I know that when August rolls around I'm going to have to hit the ground running. Yes, I know that I have zero idea of what I'm going to do after I graduate. But instead of feeling like, "God, what in the world is going on?!" I'm starting to feel like, "God, I can't wait to see where You're going to take me."

No comments: