I'm not much of a sports fan, but this is unheard of.
Spain is ranked number one in the world in soccer. The US, frankly, sucks. We don't even care about soccer on this side of the pond. And everywhere else, they call it football. Our football they call 'American football.' Anyway.
My super Spaniard professor was getting soccer updates via his laptop while a few classmates gave their final presentations. Way to multitask.
I have a special little place in my heart for soccer because the first time I studied abroad in Spain, my host brother would let us watch nothing but soccer on TV. I learned to appreciate it and fell in love with the goalie for Real Madrid, who is also the goalie for the Spain team, Iker Casillas. He's quite a looker, but I know he's got to feel bad for not being able to block a couple of American shots.

The last time I was in Spain, last summer, Spain had just won the Euro Cup. And it was an astronomical deal. My first day there I wore my España t-shirt around town, and I elicited random chants of "España!" from folks on the street because people were that stoked.
But now, ay, ay, ay. The US is like the worst team to get beaten by. Here's to underdogs!
2 comments:
One of my kids did his final project (a big deal for them) on San Iker!!
He's hot! And I too gained a love for futbol when staying with family in England a few years back!
Post a Comment