Sunday, May 31, 2009

Journey through the Sticks

I love my little bro. He better be glad I love him. Else, I wouldn't have taken a 3 hr+ journey through the sticks to see him. What's crazy is that people kept asking if we were twins. Um, really? I'm 4 years older than this dude.

Anyway, I was amused by the names of podunk towns on the way that I didn't know existed. Locust Fork. Pinson. Tarrant. Oneonta. How do you even pronounce the last one? Then, a few signs on Highway 79 actually read "Hiway 79." Oh, Lord. Then I passed this little convenience store called "Hicks Poor Boy Store." Really? And then I saw a sign for a dirt road called "Hog Walla Holler." I'm not making this stuff up.

Even though I'm not Alabama born and bred, it still annoys me when I'm confronted with the worst Alabama stereotypes from non-Alabamians. But then, I realize that the reason why stereotypes are stereotypes is because they are partly based in truth.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Ha, ha! Texas isn't much better! On my way to my parents I have to drive through this one town called Cut-n-Shoot. I am not making this up!