Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Ye Have Not Because Ye Ask Not

Sometimes we're (okay . . . I'm) afraid to specifically ask the Lord for something because I feel like . . . well, He already knows my wants and needs, He's God, He's omnipotent, etc.  If I really needed what I wanted (okay, that sounds kind of weird) or, let's say if it were God's timing for me to have whatever it is that I wanted, then I would have it, right?

Plus, sometimes I'm afraid to admit I even want something.  Because when you want something that you don't have, either you're not "content in the state that you're in," or you're "needy."  Do you know what I mean?  I don't want to be needy, and I don't want to be unhappy with where I'm at right now.  So, sometimes it seems like admitting I have a want is admitting I have a weakness.

But in the gospels, Jesus spends a lot of time encouraging people to ask of God.  As a child would ask of her father.

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? (Mat. 7:11)

So, I'm trying to change my attitude about asking.  Even though He already knows, He wants us to make it known.

No comments: