Tuesday, May 29, 2012

"What you tryna get up to?"

Sort of a weird question, right?  I thought so, too.  At first I thought he meant like, what degree am I going for this time around.  So, I started talking about the PhD and how long it would take when he interrupted me.

"No, no, I mean, look like you puttin' on a little weight."  My eyes widened.

"Oh, really?"  He nodded and smiled as only uber-observant old men smile.

"Yeah.  But it sets well on you."  Um, GROSS.  Nobody asked you.

Anyway, despite the creepiness of that exchange, I must admit that I have put on a few pounds. I've gained ten good pounds since I've moved to Georgia.  But I'm not freaking out about it or anything.  Before I moved, I was stressing non-stop, jumping around from job to job, eating sparingly and erratically.  I was a little underweight, honestly.  But now that I've settled down into a peaceful, normal routine, more or less, I guess I've not been as active and I eat more regularly.

It isn't really noticeable.  Unless you're looking really hard in places your eyes have no business looking (case in point, old dude mentioned above).  It's just that things that used to kind of hang on me now fit pretty well.  I don't have to buckle my belts as tightly and my dresses are now a little more filled out.  That's all.  It's comfortable.

But still, the fast metabolism I've inherited may be on its way to slowing down.  My days of eating whatever I want whenever I want may be winding down.  I've never been a work-out person.  I know, it's so horrible.  But I just never have.  I mean, the last physical fitness endeavor that I embarked upon was that tae kwon do class I took a couple of years ago.

But just because you aren't overweight doesn't mean you don't need to stay in shape.  Or exercise, or eat healthy or whatever.  It's just a matter of taking care of yourself.  So, when I get back to campus after my little break this week, I'm hitting that elliptical machine at the rec.  I mean, my student fees are paying for it anyway.  I might as well.

No comments: