A lot of people (myself included) usually take this verse to mean God will grant you your desires if you "take delight" in Him.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, necessarily, provided that your desire isn't something immoral or against God's nature or whatever.
But what if it meant something else? Something a little less having to do with purely what we want? What if instead of interpreting "he will give you your heart's desires" as "He will give me what I desire," what if it meant, "He will place in my heart those desires that line up with His will for my life"?
This is not to say that our desires and the desires that line up with His will are mutually exclusive. I get very annoyed with people who espouse that they are mutually exclusive by definition because it's just unbiblical. I'm just wondering if my prayer should be, instead of "God, please grant me my desires," "God, please let what I desire be what You desire, and let what You desire be what I desire."
No comments:
Post a Comment