Sunday, May 20, 2012

Post-Sunday Morning Reflections: Freedom Edition

Here's my newest little revelation, compliments of this morning's message:

In Revelation, Heaven is described as having dimensions.  (Whether or not these dimensions are literal is another discussion for another day.) In other words, whatever space it takes up has limits.  Maybe a better way to express this is that in the description of it (whatever camp you fall into), its nature has delineations.

In addition, in the Old Testament, things that were put to holy or salvific use had to be constructed according to very detailed specifications. (Noah's ark, The Tabernacle, etc.)

However, Hell is described as being limitless, dimensionless.  It's described as being enlarged and without measure, and it's repeatedly described as an abyss (or "bottomless pit" in the KJV).

I started thinking about freedom.  In a spiritual sense.  Is true freedom being in a limitless space or situation?

Then I started thinking about Genesis.  Genesis describes a God who takes a formless void and begins organizing it.  He separates light from darkness.  He distinguishes the sky from the waters.  There's this chaotic, scattered situation of a cosmos, and then He starts putting things in a certain order.  It's like things were just all over the place, formless, and functionless, and then He started arranging things to function within specific constraints.

Is it freedom to exercise our own wills or is it freedom from chaos?  What I mean is, we have freedom to exercise our own wills, regardless.  I believe that humans do have free will.  But is the power to exercise that will the way we see fit really freedom?  I think I realize more clearly how allowing ourselves to fall within certain constraints to be free from the Hell of abyss, of the void that is the World, is the freedom that submitting to God gives us.

2 comments:

MotherT said...

You just gave me some great thought-fodder for my Young Adults' class! Thanks!

chantell said...

Yay! Glad I could be of inspiration. :-)