All right. So, my boy is dealing with his first big boo-boo RE: The Tom Daschle fiasco. He already used up a little bit of political capital on getting Geithner through (whose tax-forgetting sins weren't nearly as egregious as Daschle's, but still, Treasury Secretary forgetting to pay taxes? Boo.) He couldn't afford to use up any more.I know he's probably like, "D'oh!" a la Homer Simpson right now because he was really depending on Daschle to get health care reform business underway. Oh, well.
But this is why, though I'm not as starry-eyed about my boy as I was say, after the Democratic National Convention speech, I'm still giving him a thumbs-up:
1. He realizes the importance of the confidence of the American people in government, and he doesn't want to give the impression that people of power are held to different standards than ordinary folk. He ran on a campaign of change and higher standards and transparency, and if Daschle hadn't resigned, the cynicism-meter would've shot up.
2. He actually owns up to his mistakes. And right away. He literally told Anderson Cooper (and a slew of other reporters) that he "screwed up" in allowing the Daschle thing to get this far. He's owning up to his mistakes and is taking responsibility for them. That in itself is a breath of fresh air.
I love the way he says "Look." It's SO Obama. (I also think Anderson is one of the hottest reporters on the news. I love how he furrows his brow and confidently asks tough questions.)
2 comments:
Chantell:
I stumbled upon your blog through Apostolic blogger.com. I just thought I would post a comment regarding your high regard for Barack Obama. Here is a link to an article about a child who was the product of a failed abortion and disposed of in a biohazard bag. The reason I post this link is because, as Christians, we should probably be cautious about who we support politically. Have you any knowledge of Barack Obama's political policies? Please read this article and its relation to Obama.
http://www.americasright.com/2009/02/south-florida-infanticide-and-barack.html
God Bless
Rachel
Hello, Rachel,
Thanks for stopping by.
Regarding my high regard for Barack Obama. (sigh.)
It's a little disingenuous to ask whether I know of Obama's policies. Of course I do. I voted for him. I must admit that this is one of the areas where I strongly disagree with my boy. I'm pro-life. And the blog post you linked to was extremely disturbing.
You're right. As Christians we should be cautious about who we support politically. I also believe that voting in a Christian manner goes beyond the issues of abortion and gay marriage.
Of course, you'd disagree. Else you wouldn't have left the comment you did. But I am an ardent proponent of agreeing to disagree (you have to be if you're an Apostolic Obama supporter), and I even think it's possible to vote for a party even though one doesn't agree with everything on that party's platform.
Thanks for taking the time out to share your thoughts.
Post a Comment