Saturday, February 07, 2009

Cure for the Pity Partyful

This morning I woke up and immediately I knew it was one of those Saturdays. One of those Saturdays when you know you have a boatload to do and little motivation to do it. One of those Saturdays when, even though the sunlight is filtering in through your yellow curtains, you don't feel that bright, and you feel the weight of contradictions and uncertainty bearing down on you. In that hazy, I-just-woke-up morning light, all you can hear are the sounds of silence and the only thing certain is that you're alone. The perfect ingredients for a pity party.

The only thing about a pity party, though, is that you can only have one by yourself. The focus is solitary and inward, and you and you alone can enjoy a table spread with narcissistic self-obsession. And there's nothing that gets the party going like a tearful call home.

The reasonableness of the cure finally hit home today. I always knew it, but this seems like the first time I immediately did something about it. Why don't you do something to get the focus off of yourself?

So I put a batch of cookies in the oven to bring over to the new pastor and his family, and I invited an exchange student over for dinner. I'm cured! Pity party over. It's not hard to stop thinking about yourself. Because you are outnumbered by other people who could use your mental energy and empathy.

1 comment:

Mary Frances said...

Amen and amen!!! =) Heeey!!! How can I get one of those little mini blogs on my page?!?!