Friday, March 14, 2008

A Totally Unrelated Addendum

Today a flaxen-haired 6th grader innocently looked up at me while I was bent over helping her look up a word in a Spanish-English dictionary and asked, "How do you get your hair that way?"

I stepped back and blinked a few times, flummoxed. What way? I laughed nervously. Why did that question unsettle me? "I um, er . . . "

"I mean, it looks so smooth. Do you use hairspray?"

T'yeah. That and a lot of other stuff you've never heard of. "Yeah. Well, I straighten my hair, um, with a chemical that would burn your hair out if you used it and use a lot of other stuff. Um, hairspray, curling irons, moisturizers . . . "

"Well, all I have to do is wash my hair in the shower and blowdry it when I get out."

I just smiled, nodded and gave her a little teacherly pat on the head.

No comments: