I would have hated to have been my right pinkie toe today. All hot and squished up in the corner of my shoe. It was crying out to me. Well, both of my feet were kind of whimpering, but my right pinky was screaming out in agony. It was saying, "Chantell, let this cup pass from me." I'm telling you, I was tempted to get real Alabama and just take those suckers off and walk around barefooted today. Commandment One of being a student intern: Thou shalt not wear shoes that kill thy feet, especially when thou art in charge of instruction all day and on top of that, have to rush from the school at 3:05 to campus in enough time to park and make thy 3:30. The usual 3:25 brisk walk from the parking lot to the foreign languages building was more like a pained limp today. My walking rhythm was a droll metronome of ouches.
I have to give my right pinky toe props, though. It hung in there. It had guts. When I finally made it to my humble abode at the end of the day and took those babies off, my pinkie toe was like, "What? What? I can take it, c'mon, bring it on!" Must be something about brown pumps that have a way of toughening a pinky toe up. Well, at least encouraging one to develop a corn, if nothing else. Why do we torture our feet like this, ladies? I know it doesn't help that I'm super flat-footed, and that my feet are positioned so that I slightly walk on the outside edge of my feet so the heels of my shoes wear at an angle. Can't help it. But the toe torturing madness has got to stop. I think, a guy wouldn't wear shoes that hurt his feet like a big dog just for the sake of fashion, would he? But then, I've never been one to even think about claiming to know the innerworkings of the male psyche. Better leave that one right there where it is.
Toe torture aside, the rest of my day was filled with interactions with 7th graders (and being observed during 1st period), and oral exams in Spanish Phonetics and Syntax (which I should have taken while studying abroad in Spain last spring, but here we are.) Well, better get to grading those stacks of Daily Oral Grammar tests. Ah, isn't this just the life?
2 comments:
From one pinkie toe to another, Chantell's pinkie toe, here's a hearty "Amen"! Wendy is quite fond of pointy toed shoes, and she has this one pair made of this webby stuff. When she wears them, one part of the web nearly cuts me in half! I spend all day hanging halfway out of her shoe, nauseated and wondering if I'm coming down with an ingrown.
I wish she were one of those feminist types who condemn things like heels and pantyhose as being torture devices invented by men to oppress women and thus, refuse to wear them. But nooooo . . . I've gotta be attached to a GIRLIE girl!
You hang in there, sistah. We pinkie toes will have our revenge one of these days.
Right on, Wendy's pinkie! Pinkie toes unite!
Post a Comment