I have theme songs from time to time. Just songs that sum up how I'm feeling during my various stages. My current one? "I Don't Wanna Be" by Gavin DeGraw. I know it's mainstream, secular, whatever, but I was just seized by this song when I first heard it. The chorus:
I don't want to be anything other than what I've been trying to be lately
All I have to do is think of me and I have peace of mind
I'm tired of looking 'round rooms wondering what I gotta do
Or who I'm supposed to be
I don't want to be anything other than me
Now, of course, for me, knowing that God's got my back gives me peace of mind, but the spirit of this song sums up how I've been feeling, and is something I've known for a while but what I think is really finally starting to sink in, and that is this: I can't be anyone other than myself and neither should I try to be. At times I frustrate myself worrying about how I am percieved by others, worrying about whether I am where a newly-turned 23-year-old should be in her life, etc., and it's maddening. I could go on and on about the time in my life where I basically gave myself a complex because I was consumed with fitting in somewhere. For the sake of not going into a full-blown life story, suffice it to say that the formative/adolescent years of a black former military brat turned Alabama transplant were sometimes confusing and filled with many a crisis of identity. Imagine suffering more culture shock from returning to your country of origin than when you first lived outside of it. But I digress. For right now, enough already with the madness! (Or, "kill the drama" as my brother sometimes says.) I don't wanna be anything other than me. I wanna be me with a job though . . . got a call from a principal from a good school prospect, and tomorrow's the UA Recruitment of Educators Day. Details to follow!
2 comments:
That theme song could be sung by a "broth'a" I know named Maurice (LOL) - As far as calls from principals & attending recruitment activities - here's another theme song "We've come this far by faith"
asja, that is so weird! I love how the song spoke to both us, yet resonated differently. Ah, blame it on the LAMPness. :-)
Post a Comment