Sunday, April 17, 2005

Lake Lurleen

Lurleen Wallace was the first, and so far only, female governor of Alabama. Yes, the wife of "stand in the schoolhouse door" fame, George. Well, thank you Lordy that old George didn't have his way for long . . . or else I wouldn't be so eagerly anticipating graduation in a matter of weeks from UA, now would I?

Anyway, yesterday some of the young people and other church folks went out to one of Lurleen's many namesakes, Lake Lurleen, for a Saturday afternoon of grilling out, fishing, canoeing and paddleboating. It was an absolutely beautiful day. I (further--lol) browned my arms and legs in the sun and just soaked it all in (quite literally, too--we had a water fight that left me looking like a denim-skirted water nymph). It was just a day of enjoying the beauty and majesty of God's creation while taking a respite from the craziness of the week. We need that. God knows we need it.

A song by Warren Barfield comes to mind. He's a young, comparatively new Christian artist whose slighty hoarse-sounding voice with a slight touch of soul is so endearing. The chorus from his song "Soak It Up":

Soak it up
Every little bit I can
Enjoy all my day
Before all my days end
And whatever I get
Always let that be enough
And never forget to soak it up

No comments: