I want a sunflower-filled refuge.
I want a place where I can have my cake and eat it too. If I have a cake, how on earth are you going to expect me to not want to eat it too?
I want to be able to exist, tensionless, in this world. I don't want you to make me feel bunched up in two extremes at the same time. I want to be able to embrace you as you are and not feel forced to divide you up. I put you over here . . . and I put you over there . . . and you can stay right here . . . and you move over just a little bit there . . . Like I'm placing an invisible sticker on everybody's forehead with a number that indicates emotional distance. No. I don't want to feel like I have on these covert layers.
I want to dash cognitive dissonance into a million pieces. Away with you, dichotomies! Away with you, either/or. Away with you, pinched face, demanding lines in the sand. I can like Curious George and Edgar Allan Poe. I can want curly-haired, dimpled, chocolate-smudged faces and a PhD. I can make a PowerPoint and strut in high heels and make mashed potatoes. I can like Christian Southern roots rock and Motown oldies. I can steel myself against self-righteous churchgoers and academicians.
I want my own language. Don't force me to speak yours. Don't try to shove words into my mouth or try to coax them out. Especially if you aren't a wordsmith. Especially if the mold of your own mouth was cast in a one-track block. Especially if you don't know how my words form or where they come from.
I want the world-weary cynics to stop being so smug. Do you think you're the only ones enlightened and tired?
I want that moment when my guitar sounds like a mellow bell. When our eyes first meet. When the sun gently nudges me awake.
1 comment:
Your loveliest rant yet. Strum some chords with it, and you got yourself a song, girl!
Post a Comment