Thursday, August 16, 2012

Ramadan

Tonight was the second time I've ever been inside of a mosque.

The first time was when I was studying abroad in Spain several years ago.  One of the courses I was taking was "Cultural Diversity in Spain," and we went to the Islamic cultural center in Madrid.  Women were asked to cover their heads before entering, and all of us removed our shoes.  Our small group of idealistic young Americans was alongside a group of elderly Spanish seniors.  After a little intro from the guide, he opened up the floor for questions.  One of the seniors asked (in a somewhat belligerent tone) about the term "jihad."  Unfazed, the guide answered calmly.  Then I raised my hand.  I'm a question kind of a gal.  I had three questions: 1. What does it say on that sign? (there was large circular sign at the front of the room in Arabic), 2. Why do women have to wear a head covering? and 3. Why are Muslim men allowed to have more than one wife?  I heard approving murmurs from the Spanish seniors.  Buenas preguntas, eh?  The guide smiled.  Tu eres muy joven, he began.  You're very young.  1. I don't remember (as in, I literally don't remember what his answer was, but it was something about Allah), 2. Depending on country and customs, women are not obligated to wear a covering at all times, only when they pray.  3. Polygamy doesn't have to do with Islam, rather with certain Muslim cultures.  In some cultures, it's acceptable, in others it is not.  Then we went downstairs and had Moroccan food.

But back to tonight.  A friend from Turkey invited me to a Ramadan "breaking of the fast" dinner.  When we arrived, the prayers were in session.  We put on scarves to cover our heads, removed our shoes and went inside.  I sat off to the side observing as the imam intoned during the prayers.  The women bowed.  They rose.  They bowed their heads to the floor.  They rose.  Why was my friend speaking to some of the others in English?  Because they didn't all speak the same language.  Several languages were present; I'm guessing Arabic, Turkish, Urdu, and Farsi, to name a few.  After the prayer, we all went into another room to eat.  Rice with chickpeas, chicken, salad and rice pudding for dessert.  What was amazing to me was the diversity of everyone there.  I saw brown Pakistani women in sari-like dresses.  There were women with blue eyes and blond hair.  There were black women.  There were Arab women.  There were women with long sleeves, long skirts and a head covering.  There were women in jeans and a t-shirt with their hair completely uncovered.  Once we left the prayer area and sat down to eat, my friend took her scarf off.  So did I.

I relish the times when I'm able to get a peek into a world that's different from my own.  It's something I think we could all stand to do more often.

No comments: