Saturday, November 21, 2009

My Brush with Destiny

As any faithful readers know, last night was my brush with destiny. After so many years of being touched by Don Miller's writing, and as a result, loving him, I finally met him in the flesh. It was fantastic.

Okay, let me start out by saying this: Everything on my wishlist came true. (Mention on his blog as yet undetermined.) Boy, am I glad I wore my shirt! It was a hit. People commented on it, but most of all, Don loved it. When I walked up to him to get my book signed, he was pleasantly surprised at my shirt. He was all flattered and said it was great and asked me to send him a picture. Then he asked for a hug. I was more than happy to oblige.

Here's the thing: Because of time constraints, Don was only to autograph the books. No time for writing special messages, etc. But Don himself asked me my name and wrote an unsolicited special message in my book right above his autograph. Take a look at the slideshow and see everything for yourself:




I'll be writing a less giddy, more informative report on my night with Don Miller for 90&9 soon. But for now, a few details:

1. Susan Isaacs was Don's warm-up act, so to speak, and she did a great piece from her book Angry Conversations with God.

2. While Don was chatting right before intermission about The Mentoring Project and Worldvision, he tripped off of the platform! It was a really bad trip, but he saved himself from actually taking a dive. I was horrified, but he recovered quite nicely with his signature self-deprecating humor. It endeared him to me even more, though. It made him seem more human.

3. I sat in the very first pew, front and center. I am so thankful that my friend insisted we sit right up front. She also took many of the pictures for me. She really helped to make it a special night for me. Love you, k.

I don't think anything could have gone much better. Don really exceeded my expectations!

1 comment:

Don Ryan said...

Mission accomplished. Well done!