After I helped one of my pals and his wife pack and put stuff in a moving truck today, I said goodbye to him and my other good grad school buddy who came to help. I despise saying goodbye. I know, things change, people move on, you begin new chapters in life, you can still keep in touch, it's part of life. I get it. But it still makes me melancholy and teary-eyed. It still depresses me to know that, despite the positive that can come from change, things from this point on will never be the same.
I feel like all my friends are moving away, getting married, starting new lives without me. I know, it sounds dramatic, maudlin and self-pitying. But it's how I felt standing there in the grass as they pulled down the door to the moving truck.
I have a lot to look forward to. I have a couple more orientation sessions before my life as an instructor begins next Monday. I'm blessed to even have this job because, frankly, people aren't getting hired in this economy, especially in academia, rife with budget cuts. I needed something temporary that would allow me to save a decent amount of money, and that's exactly what this is. After that, I'll experience 6 months abroad. I'm thankful for the opportunities God has given me.
Even so, there is a part of me which has a tendency to nurse the bittersweet. To cast a wistful glance behind me and long for the way things used to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment