Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Frutería

A frutería is a store that sells fruit and vegetables. Here's a grammar lesson. Adding "-ería" (more or less) onto a noun in Spanish turns it into a word meaning a store that sells that noun. For example:

zapato = shoe, zapatería = shoe store

papel = paper, papelería = paper (stationery) store

pan = bread, panadería = bakery

joya = jewel, joyería = jewelry store

Anyway, this morning, I was telling the front desk guy that I wanted to meet more Spanish people so that I'd have more opportunities to practice my Spanish. Then he was like, "Okay, here's an opportunity to practice your Spanish. I have a list of things that I'm going to order from the frutería. I'm going to call them and let you order." (We also eat at our residence, and I guess one of the front desk guy's duties is to keep the kitchen stocked with whatever they need.) He re-wrote out his little list in neater handwriting for me and called the place and gave the phone to me. Cinco kilos de patatas, diez lechugas, tres sacos de limones . . . it gave me flashbacks of when we lived in Italy across the street from a grocery store and my mom would send me over to order from the deli.

Anyway, there's my Spanish experience of the day. More to come!

No comments: