Well, hello.
It's been a while, I know. But so many things have/have been/are happened/happening, that it's just been a task to find the time and presence of mind to sit down and write.
If I don't do it now, at the dawn of the new semester, who knows when I will?
At least I'm teaching two sections of a course that I taught last semester, so no freak-outs to be had. The only bummer is that I'm teaching on the opposite side of campus from my office and I'm teaching in some funky buildings I've never heard of before. Forestry? Who teaches Spanish in the School of Forestry building?
So. I'm starting out this new year as an engaged woman. And in four months, I'll be a married woman. That is off the chain. Now that 2015 is here, our wedding day seems like it's hurtling towards us. If I went to France right now for as long as I did in 2010, I would be married before I got back. I finally got to try on my wedding dress. There's something about it all that still seems so surreal. There's flower girl dresses to figure out. We have to meet with our day-of coordinator. We need to order our invitations. Who's going to do what during the ceremony? Wedding favors? How is everyone going to find their way driving out in the deep down country roads to arrive at our rustic venue? What are the little details going to look like? I wish there were a wedding genie who could just POOF! and all the details would be magically worked out. It'll be here before you know it.
I just got rid of a boatload of hoarder/sentimental junk junkie stuff and bagged up a bunch of clothes that I haven't worn in eons. There's still so much more to do, to get rid of, to rearrange. There's a grown man who's moving into my little one bedroom apartment with me in a matter of months and I've got to make space for him. (We're trying to save money, I say!) What is living with a grown man going to look like? The last time I had a roommate, I was a sophomore in college. While I'm thrilled about being able to be together 24/7, I'm also a little afraid of the unknown.
By the time we get married, we will have been engaged for longer than we dated.
When we got back to Georgia after the winter break, we found a few gifts that our friends and family ordered for us from Bed, Bath and Beyond waiting for us. It was so exciting to see things from the registry! (Especially the Fiesta dinnerware.)
This year I will make more progress on my dissertation than I have up to this point. I absolutely must. This year, I will work consistently on my dissertation.
This year, I will have my little veggie garden again.
This year, I will finally learn to knit.
This year, my theme is to wait upon the Lord. For so long, I've associated "waiting on the Lord" with finding a husband. Can I just be for real? I would venture to say that many long-single church girls out there have and probably do associate the idea of "waiting on the Lord" and "God's timing" with finding a husband. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that or making fun of it or anything now that I finally have a man. (Insert sarcasm here.) All I'm saying is that I feel like I'm in the position to wait on Him even more now because I have more balls in the air. How is this academic career thing going to work out for me and for him? What about our future, unconceived (albeit conceived of) children? How are they going to fit into the mix? Let's keep it a hundred: Ya girl is not a spring chicken anymore, and if any babies are going to happen, they need to at least start happening within the next two years after I'm married. This is where "waiting" comes in again. This is where "God's timing" needs to be acknowledged again.
2015 will be a year of new beginnings. 2015 will be a year of adjusting, trusting, learning, growing and patience.
No comments:
Post a Comment