Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Present Life

I wanted to write more stuff about Cuba . . . I just hate that I couldn't chronicle my experiences as they were unfolding.  It feels slightly inauthentic to go back and cherry pick what I want to share.

Well, I guess I already do that even when I talk about my present life.  lol.  But at least it's much more immediate and there isn't the time lag that adds to the feeling of inauthenticity that I've sort of been feeling when trying to recreate my Cuba experiences.  I did post links to pictures, and supposedly, a picture is worth a thousand words.  I guess it's okay if I just leave it at that.  I had romantic ideas of doing sort of like profile/sketches of people I met, but now it just seems corny.  Let me write some inspiring, "real" things about these "real" people I met.  It just seems like something a naive hipster would do.

Anyway, present life is pressing upon me.  I got back to what's home base for now this past Sunday night and have been trying to get back to the grind ever since.  On my plate this summer: working on a project for my professor, babysitting her son, writing reports for the grants I won to go to Cuba, writing an article about my Cuba experience (for possible publication!), and preparing for comps.

My apartment still sort of has the post-finals-whirlwind-of papers-blew-through-it look that it had before I left for Cuba, and I still haven't officially unpacked.  I've just taken out essential toiletries and have been picking clothes to wear out of my suitcase.  I need to get my life together.

I haven't been totally unproductive.  Making headway with the project.  I got all my paperwork squared away to get reimbursed for Cuba expenses from my grant (yes, baby!).  I've worked in my garden a bit, and have some beautiful veggie babies in development.  I've already sacrificed a rather large zucchini to make zucchini bread and muffins.  Mmmm.  I clipped my nails back down to nothing so I could get back to practicing the guitar.  I hadn't played it in over a month.

The only thing I'm hesitant to write about right now are personal life matters. And when I say "personal life" we all know what I'm really talking about.  There are so many little eyes reading this, known and unknown.  And I'm trying to keep things as smooth and drama free as possible.  Not posting the juicy details, so to speak, is my way of doing so.  I think the only time I will freely write about anyone who's anywhere in the vicinity of being in the running of being The One is if I get engaged or something.

All of that to say that there is a possibility in my life right now.  That's all I feel at liberty to say.  Because a possibility is honestly all it is at this point.  But here is something I will say.  And this is hilarious, but so true.  It seems like when it comes to guy matters, it's either feast or famine.  What I mean is, I will go through long periods of people being unaware of my existence or just not that into me.  But let one person become legitimately interested in me.  Oh, and also, let me go on a trip.  That also does it.  Let me be far away and let some other dude throw his hat in the ring, and suddenly folks come crawling out of the woodwork.  It's like, oh, dude, really?  Where you come from?

Anyway.  After I got back from Cuba last Monday, I spent the rest of the week with my family.  Whenever I spend more than a couple of days with my family, I'm never ready to go back to work.  I'm just bad about leaving.  I'm not a good goodbye person at all.  But now that I'm back . . . I feel like, okay, I can do this.  And I love when I get that feeling.

No comments: