This was the first birthday (outside of the times I spent my birthdays abroad in Spain and France) that I didn't go home to celebrate. It was the first time I didn't spend it with my parents with pre-made plans and a pre-arranged cake. This year, I bought my own cake. (And it was to die for. I'm serious. Layers of moist cake with custard and strawberries and whipped icing . . . stupid good.) This year, I arranged my own dinner party. What I'm saying is that I finally realized that I have to make my own place. Foster my own community. I finally realized that I have to make home wherever I am. I finally realized that there are people who love and support me where I am. I don't have to go home in order for my birthday to be a "real" birthday. I can forge a family and depend on a network of supportive people wherever I am.
I'm a big sister. I will always be one. My brothers, who are now grown men, will always be referred to as "the boys." I will always be in big sister mode with them. Bossing them around, being "responsible" and all of that. Some things never change. This year, my brothers came to spend the weekend with big sis for her birthday. And I realized this year, more than I ever have before, how much I depend on them. As much as my brothers are annoying and at times total uncouth guys around me, I love those dudes. I realized how much I depend on them for moral and emotional support. No matter what, they are my brothers and I know that they love me and have my back. When they left this morning, I couldn't help but tear up. They really helped to make my birthday special, and I appreciate them more than they know.
There's something else about birthdays. Guys. It's when they come out of the woodwork. It's the one day people you haven't heard from in a minute come out of hiding. It's the legitimate excuse to hit ya girl up (if you are privileged enough to already have ya girl's digits, that is). And I can't say that I mind.
My Baskin Robbins year is definitely getting off to a sweet start.
No comments:
Post a Comment