Monday, August 01, 2011

The Age Old Connundrum

I always have too much to do or not enough. Or I have a lot of stuff that must eventually get done, but that I can't reasonably put on a to-do list and check off like most other tasks (i.e. create a reading list, choose an advisory committee or write a dissertation.)

One step at a time, one step at a time.

I did get a lot checked off today, though. I'm pleased with my progress.

Things are starting to coalesce. Paid rent for my apartment, reserved a U-Haul, made hotel reservations for the first few days after my arrival in GA, paid my last bit of rent for storage of all my stuff before I ship it on out. My answer used to be, "Uh, beginning of August sometime," but now my answer is definite. Specific. August 7th.

I started getting excited looking at the classes I might be taking: Issues of Race, Class and Gender, Hispanic Thought, Narrative Discourses, Survey of Literary and Cultural Theories and Criticism, Topics in Afro-Hispanic Identity. The nerd center of my brain is getting fired up, baby!

I will admit to a teeny tiny worry: church. God, please let me find a good one. Not a podunk one (bless their hearts), but one that's vibrant, growing, multicultural, and has at least a few 20 and 30somethings I can relate to. Atlanta's a big city nearby, but it's at least an hour and a half away. Don't make me have to do that every Sunday. I mean, I know some people from a couple of churches in ATL, so I wouldn't mind visiting every once in a while for fellowship, but (sigh) we'll cross that bridge when we get there, I guess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DON'T LEAVE MEEEEEE!

lol.

But, for real.

k

chantell said...

You and me, Us never part
Makidada
You and me, Us have one heart
Makidada
Ain't no ocean, Aint no sea
Makidada
Keep my sistah way from me
Makidada