Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Why Not Minot?

Freezin's the reason.

That's the proverbial Air Force joke about Minot, North Dakota. (More affectionately known as NoDak). Thank the Lord it's not freezing right now . . . I wouldn't be able to take it. I have heard horror stories of brutal winters here. Like, 30 below zero, a ridiculous number of inches of snow, people having to plug in their cars so the motors or whatever don't freeze. Yikes. Anyway, right now, the weather's super nice. A welcome reprieve from the sticky sweet torrid heat of Montgomery (more affectionately known as the Gump).

What have I been doing? Well, for starters I've been perfecting my Midwestern accent imitation. "Do you want your receipt or do you want it in the baeg?" Um, the bag? "I pledge allegiance to the flaeg . . . " Um, the flag? People also say "You betcha" a lot. I had a delightful conversation with the deliveryman who brought my friend's parents' new oven in. I had on my ancient "COLLEGE" t-shirt (a la "Animal House").

Deliveryman: Soo, you're in cahlege?

Me: No, I've been out for a while. I've just finished my third year teaching elementary and middle school kids.

Deliveryman: Ooh. Ya knoo, Iy've been tryna keep my son invahlved, ya knoo, with reeding and ahl oover the sahmmer, Iy would lahve fer sahmeone ta tooter em sahmtime, Iy'd pey ya a reesonable amount every week er soo . . .

Me: Oh, I'd love to help . . . I tutored kids in my extra time when I was teaching, but I'm leaving in about two weeks. I'm sorry!

This dude totally didn't know me from Adam and was trying to get me to tutor his kid. I guess the whole friendly, small town thing is for real.

Anyway, I've also been running around town doing stuff for wedding preparations, and having a devilish time buying a bunch of risque stuff to embarrass my friend for the shower. I'm pretty pleased with the way I wrapped her present:


Ay, ay, ay! :-)

The flower girl's mom wanted me to meet her since we'll be walking down together during the ceremony, and she wanted her daughter to get to know me so she'll be comfortable around me, etc. We hit it off right away. And she looked so darling in her flower girl dress!


And of course, the happy couple:


Yep. My fellow former military brat friend is settling down with a homegrown NoDak boy. They joke about the prospect of having Norweigan-Polish-black babies.

I'm overjoyed for my gul. She's such a godly, beautiful person and she deserves all the happiness in the world. The lucky groom is such a great guy. I know they're going to make each other happy.

(Sigh.) Weddings have SO been on the brain lately. This is the second summer in a row that I've been in one. It doesn't help matters that a lady at my church has taken it upon herself to make me a wedding dress. I realized that I haven't divulged that bit yet. Yeah, it's a crazy story. But what's cool is that it's EXACTLY what I want. It's scary. But that'll be for another day. You betcha.

No comments: