As I exit my comfort zone . . .
I really hate it when I begin to do things I said I'd never do. And I'm not talking like, things that are off, as in "I said I'd never become a stalker, and here I am, spending my last dime on surveillance equipment." No. It's more like, "I said I'd never try 'chitlins,' and here I am, eating a hot sauce-doused second helping." Except, the "I said I'd never" in question isn't the prospect of eating 'chitlins,' but rather (dun-dun-DUUUN) . . . going to a singles conference.
Oh, blast it all, I said I wasn't going to do it. But here I am, registered for the Alabama District Singles Conference which takes place next weekend. How did I get from this to this?! I got a mass email from a single lady at my church asking who was planning on going. Ordinarily, I would've hit delete and moved on, but this time, I stopped. One of my post-IQ Forum resolutions was to get out of my comfort zone, and something nudged me and said that here was the perfect opportunity.
I don't need to rehash my aversion to all things 'single'. In addition, I'm a self-professed conference cynic. But the fact of the matter is, I've never been to a single's conference, so what gives me the right to knock it if I've never tried it? Who has the right to profess their distaste for chitlins when they've never even had any before, hot sauce-doused or not? (By the way, my mom said I ate some when I was little, but I don't remember. I don't think it had any hot sauce on it, though.) So, next weekend, I'm going to bite the bullet and go. For good, bad, or ugly. If I have a good time, well, then, I can say I had a good time. And if I have a God-awful time, well, then, I can rightfully knock singles conferences. At least the Alabama District one.
The only thing I pray is this: God, please, whatever You do, do not let my decision to timidly test the waters of singles conferencedom be the begining of the end. Do not let this represent my dive of abandon into the deep, murky waters of Desperado, from which there is no return. In Jesus's name, amen.
3 comments:
I can't wait to hear how things go! I'm one that says I'll never be one of "Those-Single-Girls." If you have my luck, you'll meet the man of your dreams there and never be able to live it down because you made such a riot about not meeting a guy at one of those things!
I'm glad to hear you are going, Chantelle, really I am. The one thought that came to my mind as I read your post, and because of some recent happenings here in our church.....we must not put limitations on God. His ways are so much higher than ours and truly His ways are not our ways. You just never know what might happen at this singles' conference! I look forward to hearing your report! *smile*
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm looking forward to going. Sort of. :-) But I do hope I have at least a passable time because I don't really want to have to blog a ranting entry about how awful it was. lol!
Post a Comment