Thursday, March 17, 2016

Chapter 4 Procrastinatory Thoughts

1. We were at the library this past weekend, and there was this Asian guy with a red plaid shirt and khaki pants on who kept walking around and around the library.  It was so weird.  At about the 4th time he walked by I got super distracted and sort of obsessed with the whole thing and started excitedly texting P about it. (We were sitting in separate areas.)  "Did you see this guy?  He's just walking around and around the library!  What is he doing??" Eventually, at about the 10th time (no lie), I started wondering if maybe there was something wrong with him.  I texted P and asked if maybe we should ask if he's okay.  The next time the guy walked around, P got up and approached him to ask if he was okay.  A minute or so later, P came walking over with a grin on his face to tell me the guy said he had plugged his phone in and was waiting for it to charge and he didn't feel like staying in one place while he waited.  Wut? Okay...it was so funny and weird.   But then earlier this week, on our way out of the library, we saw him walking around again...wearing the SAME EXACT thing!  And P told me he saw him again a day later...STILL wearing the same thing!  So weird.

2. Yesterday was our 10-month anniversary.  I had a meeting with someone at the department, and on my way back to my library jail cell, I heard P's voice so I stopped by his office to say hi.  His office mates were in there, so he came out and chatted for a minute, then I asked him if I could announce to everyone that it was our 10-month anniversary.  He was cool with it, so I said, "Hi, everyone, I have an announcement to make...today is our 10-month anniversary!"  And everyone was like, "Awww, congratulations, you guys are so adorable," etc.  But suddenly, it dawned on me that if I begin a statement with, "I have an announcement to make," one of the top assumptions is that I might be about to announce that I'm pregnant.  This realization made me feel strangely powerful.

3. Today is St. Patrick's day and I've begun a tradition of wearing a particular lime green dress.  My last name is now extremely Irish.  I mean, Irish to the max, so I feel this faux-obligation to celebrate my newly-adopted Irish heritage.  My husband on the other hand, freckled, red-bearded (when he grows it out) with a super Irish, holiday-appropriate middle name to boot, leaves out of the house fearlessly unadorned in green.  I told him that he's not worried about getting pinched because he's one of the ones who commands the pinchers to do his bidding.  He's immune to St. Patrick's day pinches by default just for existing.  He's a tall undercover leprechaun.

I would surrender a kidney to the black market to get a dissertation-writing machine in my possession. Just hit the "finish" button and be done.  Sigh...how did such a lazy girl get this far?

No comments: