Tuesday, October 13, 2015

In the Moment

So, we were riding along on a beautiful autumn afternoon, windows down, admiring the gorgeous fall colors on the trees.  "I love being in this moment with you, baby."  Yes, we unsarcastically say things like this to each other all the time, and it is mushy and gushy and wonderful.

We finally got to a stretch of road where there was a little bit of traffic, and slowed down, almost to a stop. Suddenly, we heard screeching brakes and I remember looking to see where it was coming from when...BOOM!  Someone rear ended the stank out of us.

While adrenaline was coursing through my veins and I was shaking and tearing up, my husband slowly pulls over, puts the car in park and asks if I'm okay.  Then he calmly gets the insurance info out of the glove compartment and gets out to exchange info with the culprit, an old wrinkled up man in a bow tie.  Homeboy tore the bumper almost completely off.

I didn't even get out of the car.  I called the police so we could file a police report, but I just stayed put.

Even though I was a little shaken and highly annoyed at the carelessness of the man who hit us (you "didn't see us"?  Dude, we were practically stopped for about a minute or so before you came plowing into us.  It's almost like hitting a parked car and claiming not to have seen it), I was very thankful for a calm husband who just handled it.

Although it sucks to have a messed up car and now to deal with the insurance stuff (which he's handling now, too), I realized that even though getting rear ended wasn't as beautiful as driving with the windows down and enjoying the fall colors, I was still in the moment with him.  It was a negative moment, but we were in it together.

I know that getting rear ended is probably the least of the negative things we will have to deal with throughout our marriage.  But I'm glad that I won't have to deal with the negative things that come in life on my own.

No comments: