Tuesday, June 03, 2014

C'est la vie.

La vie.  It happens.  Yup, it sho does.

So, I get back from Boston on Saturday, have a sappy movie-quality reunion with my boyfriend at the airport, (you know the kind, first it shows the guy waiting expectantly, then it cuts to the girl who has a dreamy smile on her face riding up the escalator, then it cuts back to the guy who is searching faces in the rush of people getting off the escalator and then he breaks into a smile when he spots her, and then it cuts to them rushing into each others' arms), all giddy with my Harvard t-shirt on and everything.  Go to THE BEST vegetarian restaurant in this world, then settle down to watch a foreign film, but I check my email first.  And this is where la vie comes in:

Hi everyone,
Regretfully, it appears as though I am going to have to cancel the following summer courses to which you have been assigned, due to insufficient enrollments:
FREN 3030 (52705)
ITAL 2001 (12703)
SPAN 1001 (52817)
SPAN 1002 (12815)
SPAN 2002 (22824)
Unless something miraculous happens with enrollments over the weekend, I will cancel these classes at noon on Monday.
I truly am sorry,
The Department Head

Whaaaaaatttttt?? That SPAN 1001?  Yeah, that was me. And canceled summer class = cancelled summer $$.

So, basically, you tell me Saturday that my class that was supposed to start the following Thursday is going to be canceled on Monday.  Craptastic.

So what does that mean?  That I'm going to have to find a summer job in JUNE (talk about awkward timing), that I'm probably going to have to take out more loans (ugh, shoot me), and that my little happy summer dream of being able to save up a little dough has been ruthlessly dashed.

I let a couple of gangsta tears slip out.  I did.  I ain't gonna lie.

But it's all good in the hood.  I am currently on an apply-for-anything-that-moves job search, and I'm going to take this interim to be productive with other projects.  A book review and *coughwritingmydissertationcough* for starters.

Sigh.  The most apropos cliche for this situation would be "You never know, God might have something better." And like other cliches that have been oft applied to my life (i.e. "It happens when you're not looking"), sometimes they hold true.  You really never know.

No comments: