Sunday, August 11, 2013

Tomorrow is the day (Part II)

So, last Thursday I wore my new white peasant dress. It was the first day of orientation for the teaching assistants, the official "first day back" for most people in the program.

Tomorrow, I'm wearing my red dress with my red wedge sandals because tomorrow is the first day of class.  I'm done with coursework, but starting this year, I'll be on the teaching end of things.  Two sections of Spanish 1001.  In other words, Spanish For Dummies. lol.

Really, I think I prefer teaching the lowest level for now.  Preparation won't be too involved.  At this level, the syllabus and all assignments are already set by the higher ups in the program who organize the courses.  My students will be a bunch of scared freshmen who will be dying for a smiley instructor who loves to get interactive.  I'll be able to devote more time to preparing for comps.

I'm wearing my red dress because I want the first day of the semester to know I'm fierce.  I want it to know that I'm on fiya.  Plus, teaching gives me an excuse to dress up and wear cute shoes.  I don't want anyone thinking I'm one of the freshmen, now do I?

I had an idea to do something cute for everyone to get the semester started off right.  And once a cute idea gets into my head, I must carry it out to fruition.  I thought, What if I bought a bunch of candy and made up some goody bags to put in people's boxes?  I did just that and attached a note that said, "Here's hoping your semester gets off to a 'sweet' start! - Love, Chantell."

But here's the thing with me.  When I think of an idea to give someone a little present, I also envision how they will receive the present.  Like, I want people to walk into the department tomorrow, and get excited with they see a pretty little bag with a pretty little ribbon tied around it in their boxes.  I want them to see this colorful, festive thing in their boxes (the attached note was printed out on pink paper) and I want them to be delighted.

The thing is, sometimes I wish some particular thing would happen to me.  Like, that one day I would find a pleasant surprise in my box (and I have before).  But instead of waiting for it to happen to me, why not make it happen for someone else?

I think I'm going to start doing that.  Make it a thing, like wearing flowers in my hair.  Like, if something pops into my head that I wish someone would do for me, I will (within reason and the bounds of appropriateness, lol) try to do it for someone else.  Sort of an inverted "pay it forward."

Here's hoping tomorrow is the beginning of an awesome semester!

No comments: