Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Quick Cuba Check In

Greetings from Cuba!

I'm seriously paying $10 an hour for this junk, so it's gotta be quick.  Cuba?  So far, so good.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who you are and how you look at it), I haven't been seduced by a desperately handsome, rum-drinking, cigar-smoking, curly haired Cuban who's the color of cafe con leche with dark fire in his eyes.  I have, however, been accosted by an old man on the street who swore he'd have more game if he were younger, and I've been the object of a few catcalls and overly appreciative looks.  But that's Cuba.

Research-wise?  Some appreciable progress.  I'm just trying to take it all in stride.  I did have an awesome conversation with a Cuban guy who's an editor at one of the premier publishing houses and cultural centers in Havana, Casa de las Americas.  He wrote an article in the New York Times just a couple of months ago that I actually used for my history research paper.  I was a little starstruck.

I have lots of stories to tell, but that'll have to wait until I can access "fast" internet a bit more cheaply.  Caramba.  Keep me in your thoughts and prayers!

1 comment:

jennifer lord said...

Fascinating!

Be sure to share all the "gory" details + pics!