I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm getting virtually no sleep tonight.
So much of my lack of readiness is my fault. I totally waited until the last minute on so many things, just miscalculating how much time I thought I'd have to do what I needed to do. It sort of sucks, and, in light of an email exchange I had a few hours ago, kind of embarrassing.
But here I am, a few hours before I'm supposed to be at the Delta check-in desk to be a part-time assistant with a brand new study abroad program. I'm also going to do "research." Yeah, I have a plan. I have copies of a nice little typed up Spanish version of my proposal to aid me if any scholars or curators ask what my research is about, but what does that even mean? I have no idea what doing research in Cuba even looks like, and I have no idea if any of my plans will even come close to being carried out. Let's face it: I don't really know what I'm doing, and Cuban Spanish is going to take me for a ride. My gringa patchwork of Latin American accent and occasionally European Spanish phrasings and vocabulary is not going to do me any favors. I've been told by a few that I have a Cuban "look." So, maybe if I keep my mouth shut, keep calm and carry on, I might be able to get by a little more easily. Worth a try.
I should be thankful I have this opportunity, and I am. I know it's going to be fun. I know I'm going to have to be patient. I know it's going to be different. I know lots of funny things will happen. I know lots of frustrating things will happen. I'm sure I'll have a lot of stories to tell when I get back.
I want to take everything in stride. I want to open myself up to the unexpected. I want to discover something I didn't anticipate.
For the past few weeks, I've been surrounded by the feeling that something is about to change. As a friend said, "Like you open up your front door and everything looks different." There are a few things that are shifting around in my life right now in a state of indeterminacy, a sense of something-but-not-quite. Maybe Cuba will give me at least a fleeting glance at what that something is.
Here's to a new adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment