Every darn thing is making me tear up. I'll get over it.
1. A classmate invited me and two other classmates over to his place for dinner last night. It was really nice. We were sitting there talking and having a great, open, honest conversation, and it made me want to cry. It made me feel like I was a part of a sincere moment that would only exist in that moment. And then, before we left, our host gave us each a pretty little post-Valentine's Day gift of chocolate. It was very sweet and made me feel like I was a part of something special.
2. My brain crush invited the class over today for empanadas and class discussion. In the middle of sitting in that circle of colleagues/friends, a wave of longing washed over me. I wished that one day I could be a married professor with a cute little girl and a nice place with enough room to invite my students over for a meal and casual conversation. I was just sitting there, soaking in the conversation and suddenly struck with how beautiful a scene it was, how thankful I was to be a part of it, and how I would like to re-create it one day.
3. I've been working on a manuscript for another professor, the same professor who asked me to co-author an article with her, and the same one whose little boy I babysit twice a week. There was a little problem with the manuscript, so I went over to show her how to fix it. Just coming over, seeing her son's face light up when he saw me and giving him hugs and kisses when he jumped into my arms almost brought me to the brink again. He likes to spin things on top of his little plastic table . . . little balls, wooden beads, anything that spins. While the toy is spinning around, we place our hands around it to make a casita, a little house for it, so that it will be happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment