Tuesday, December 15, 2009

One for the Annals

When I went to UA in Tuscaloosa and anything "historic" would go down, a friend of mine would say that it would go down in the Annals of Tusky-tusky. I cannot even write this without laughing.

Well, yesterday I went to Birmingham and my friend and I went to a nice place for lunch. It might've been the last time we see each other before I go to France, but we weren't going to think about thinking about that.

She (and others) always accuse me of flirting with the waiter. I promise that I don't go in there with intentions of trying to catch the waiter's eye. I mean, please. The waiter wasn't even particularly attractive. But I will admit that maybe I do get a little giggly and fidgety when there's a man bustling about me. (Is that really flirting, though?) And simple things like, "Is there anything else I can do for you?" always drip with double entendre when you're sitting with a funny friend.

We both wanted creme brulee for dessert even though it wasn't on the menu. My friend outrightly asked for it. He said it was available, but just to be sure, I said that it wasn't on the menu so I thought they didn't have any. He assured me that they did have it available. My friend then accused me of trying to seduce him into saying they didn't have it so that I could then seduce him into getting it. Whatever. When he brought it out, he said, "Is this what you were looking for?" as he set it in front of me. That was him, not me.

But here's the event which shall go down in the Annals: We were fighting over the bill. She refused to let me take it. She told him to split it, I told him to put it on mine, and I looked at him and said, "Listen to me." She mean mugged him. When he brought out two little bill holder things, we both thought she had prevailed. But when she opened hers, it was empty, and when I opened mine, I had it! He tricked us! Victory was indeed mine! That was the most clever little trick. My friend said he must've gone to college to have thought of that. I said she learned an important lesson that day: Charm gets you further than mean.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL...That "college" comment sounds so bad, but it really wasn't like that. I mean, you know what I meant, C. :-)

chantell said...

The college comment was hilarious! That's why I had to put it in there. lol.

For anyone reading this who thinks my friend is a snobby meanie for the college comment, YOU'RE WRONG!

Okay, problem solved. ;-)