Friday, December 04, 2009

France Update

Ah, bon. Pretty much everything is in place for my departure next month. It is absolutely ridiculous that it's less than a month away. I've got my ticket, I've got my visa, I have my accommodations arranged, and I've taken my placement test. I'm set.

Quick recap: I applied for and won a scholarship through a service club, Rotary International, to study abroad in Tours, France for six months. I'll be attending a language institute 20 hours a week and living with a host family. My responsibilities will be to attend class (of course), give presentations at Rotary meetings in France (in French!) and share American culture with those I meet. My scholarship covers tuition, room, board and round trip travel.

God has been very good to me by providing me with part-time employment during my transition between graduation and leaving to go abroad. But the fact of the matter is that I will not be allowed to work abroad (legally) and, after some recent calculations, it appears that my scholarship won't be enough to cover financial obligations that I'm still taking care of stateside.

In the end, I've worked, but have not saved what I anticipated. If any readers would be so gracious, I've installed a way for you to help by way of the PayPal donate button you'll find above. Any little bit would mean a lot to me. Merci beaucoup!

No comments: