Monday, October 20, 2008

I'm Freaking Out! (In a Good Way)

Ahem. Where do I begin . . . ?

Let me take you back to . . . maybe it was March? Or was it April? I got an email through my AU student account about study abroad scholarships offered by the Rotary Club International. One particular scholarship caught my interest. It would send you to a language institute, all expenses paid, to study a language that you aren't familiar with and to study in a country in which you haven't studied abroad previously for more than 5 months combined. Spanish and Spain were out. I've done that. This time around, I had my eyes set on French and France.

See, with my Master's program, one of my requirements is that I also be proficient in a language other than Spanish or English. We can fulfill the requirement either by taking a proficiency test or by taking a first year sequence of another language. I chose French. (It probably would have been easier had I chosen Italian, though. It's closer to Spanish. But it's not spoken in near as many places as French.) I don't want to stop at the elementary level, though. If I'm going to learn another language, I'm going to learn another language. And what better way to do so than to spend 6 months in a country where that language is spoken?

However, I had doubts. I printed out the application and sat on it. I was sort of wondering if I really wanted to continue to be a world traveler. I had this whack idea that I wasn't sure if I were going to apply because, well, there's no other way to say it, the girly side of me wants marriage and motherhood, and how could I do that if I'm gallivanting around Europe? But then the common sense side of me slapped the taste out of the mouth of the girly side of me and said, "Um, are you outside of your everlovin' mind? Six months is nothing. Do you realize you're cheating yourself out of an opportunity because of whether something you don't know will happen will happen?" The problem is that common sense me waited until the due date to knock some sense into girly me. After getting approval from the district director to apply anyway, I went for it with gusto.

Fast forward to last Monday. I had an interview. Eleven people, four scholarships. Two of them were one-year, the other two were 6-month (what I was applying for). I never knew how many out of the eleven were applying for the 6-month. But I went in there, looked people in the eye, answered questions candidly, and had fun. "You should hear something from us within 7-10 days," they said. Standard answer.

Fast forward to today. Exactly seven days later, I got an email and a phone call of congratulations! I was freaking out. I mean, seriously, I almost didn't apply, and I won it? I was so happy today. I will spend 6 months either in France (my first choice, please, please!) or Belgium (my second choice) sometime after July 1, 2009 to study French. I can't say that I don't know what I'm going to do after I graduate anymore, can I?

But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. (Job 23:10)

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. (Jeremiah 29:11)

6 comments:

snb-the glamourista said...

that is fantastically awesome!! congratulations! you won't regret it, and you'll have so many great memories! just make sure you have internet access, i want to read all about your adventures!

Anonymous said...

so proud and happy. i knew it would happen for you. congratulations. doesn't it feel good to win? ;-)

k

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, but have you considered an Asian language?

chantell said...

Thanks, snb! I hope I will have internet access, because I've got to keep my blog baby alive!

Thanks, k . . . I wasn't so sure, but it's a genuinely happy feeling to win.

And tj? Is this TJ that I know from the Gump TJ? Thanks. But I have never considered an Asian language. I know that Mandarin Chinese is hot because of China's recent rise. But I stuck with the Romances since I've already got one of them down. They're interrelated and would be easier to conceivably learn another one in 6 months.

Anonymous said...

Experience everything you can before marriage and children, you will be glad you did! No what if's, you will be so fulfilled and just think of the inspiration you will give your children! Congrats!

Jewel said...

I am sooo thrilled for you, Chantell and I have to agree with anonymous up there. Experience all that you can while you are single. And it surely looks like you are! But let me say that I DO understand the longing you feel to have that "someone special" in your life. I truly believe that one day, when you are least expecting it, as you are immersed in living your life to the fullest, academically and for the Lord, "HE" will come along. That's how it happened for me. And believe me, I was 34 and had just about given up! *smile* I sometimes think God delights in just taking us by surprise! Love you, sweet girl...((HUGS))