Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tragic Flaw

For whatever reason, I'm intrigued by the concept of tragic heroes and their flaws, especially in Shakespeare. Brutus's tragic flaw was faulty judgment—he trusted Cassius as a friend when in reality Cassius was manipulating him, and he underestimated Marc Antony's prowess. Othello's tragic flaw was jealousy—he became so blinded by it that he killed his faithful wife. Hamlet's was inaction—he was so pensive and deliberating about everything that by the time he decided to heed the ghost of his father and do something to avenge him, it was too late.

I feel like Hamlet right about now. The ghost of my murdered father that is trying to push me into action is the fact that I have a move hanging over my head. However, as of right now, I haven't placed a single, solitary article in a single, solitary box. Inaction shall be my downfall.

It's just that I can't believe I have orientation Friday, moving on Saturday and classes starting Monday. It doesn't seem true. It feels like I'm going to continue my little mundane, routine life. I'm not going anywhere new. I'm not doing anything new. Oh, but I am.

Change scares and excites me. I guess kind of like rollercoasters do. Indeed, I went to Six Flags last week, and my little brother had the pleasure of sitting next to me on a few rides. One particular instance, as the rollercoaster made its long, slow ascent before plummeting, I began shrieking wildly. "What is the matter with you?" he asked, annoyed. "It hasn't even started yet." But that's the thing—the buildup to the wild ride to me is often more anxiety-causing than the actual wild ride itself. The most intense part of the rollercoaster ride for me are those few seconds after you reach the top, right before the first big drop.

But anyway, here I am, struggling to overcome a massive, pensive inertia. To Hamlet: Snap out of it! Claudius killed your dad. Take care of him! "To be or not to be" is SO not going to get the job done. To me: Snap out of it! You're moving to another place and you're supposed to be taking some stuff up tomorrow before the big day Saturday. Get to it! Spacing out and relentlessly grinding your mental wheels are SO not going to get the job done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TOP TEN REASONS I PROCRASTINATE:

1.