People, I almost gave a tongues and interpretation when I read this. Thank you, Brittanie, for awakening the single masses to this much needed exhortation.
3 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Good post, except here use of the Greek lexicon should have been avoided (trying to equate the English word "single" with a Gk. word that can mean "single" [as in one or only] as "whole" is exactly why people need to lay off the Lexicons unless they know at least the basics of the language itself). Anyways, I thought it was funny that on her posting, toward the bottom, I saw a friend from college in the picute: good ol' Aaron Herrod from my Stockton days.
Aw, c'mon, Brian, if the use of the Lexicons were barred from the unworthy, how else would we be able to feel deep when talking about God 'n stuff? ;-)
Touche. I guess that is the one problem the church has had since the Reformation (which is a fair trade for the problems we had before): we have put a pope in every pulpit. In other words, authoritative teachers gain little respect and everyone's interpretation of Scripture is seen as even. It isn't.
That would be like me reading the newspaper and then reputing my friend who graduated with his BA in biology last Fall. I may be right, but the odds are unlikely concerning scientific matters. Or my other friend who is a mechanic. His knowledge of cars should be respected over mine for the simple reason he has been trained.
But yeah, talking "deep" does feel good sometimes.
3 comments:
Good post, except here use of the Greek lexicon should have been avoided (trying to equate the English word "single" with a Gk. word that can mean "single" [as in one or only] as "whole" is exactly why people need to lay off the Lexicons unless they know at least the basics of the language itself). Anyways, I thought it was funny that on her posting, toward the bottom, I saw a friend from college in the picute: good ol' Aaron Herrod from my Stockton days.
Aw, c'mon, Brian, if the use of the Lexicons were barred from the unworthy, how else would we be able to feel deep when talking about God 'n stuff? ;-)
Touche. I guess that is the one problem the church has had since the Reformation (which is a fair trade for the problems we had before): we have put a pope in every pulpit. In other words, authoritative teachers gain little respect and everyone's interpretation of Scripture is seen as even. It isn't.
That would be like me reading the newspaper and then reputing my friend who graduated with his BA in biology last Fall. I may be right, but the odds are unlikely concerning scientific matters. Or my other friend who is a mechanic. His knowledge of cars should be respected over mine for the simple reason he has been trained.
But yeah, talking "deep" does feel good sometimes.
Post a Comment