Thursday, April 26, 2007

Roach + Screaming Kids = Chaos

When you're a teacher, you have to be in control of yourself. You cannot let the sight of a flying granddaddy roach set you off.

I had my room sprayed earlier this year, and it's been fine ever since. I don't know if it's worn off or because it was rainy today, but in the middle of a game with a group of 4th graders, it emerged. I screamed, and then all the girls screamed (imagine 4th grade girl shrieks) and jumped up on the tables, and then the boys fell all over each other trying to stomp it. It escaped. I smartly snatched out my emergency can of Raid in case it was crazy and decided to come out again.

Once I finally got a semblance of order going on, it had to poke its barbarous head out again, and fly this time. Shrieks. A rush of boys bumping into each other. One grabbed the can and finally got it. It died. Then some boys picked the nasty thing up by its antenna and decided to swing it a little to spook the girls even more. "Throw it in the trash!" I tried to yell over the din.

In the end, I said, "Forget the game, we're having quiet time for the last five minutes. We've had enough excitement for one day, haven't we?" The nasty boys who touched the nasty thing lined up beside my desk for squirts of hand sanitizer. I shuddered at the thought that they could even fathom touching that cursed creature with their bare hands.

On the way out, one of the boys, roguishly grinning, said, "We had a good time today!" I can just imagine the dinner conversations tonight:

"What did you learn about in Spanish today, Johnny?"

"Not much. Our Spanish teacher freaked out when she saw a roach and the rest of the class was a disaster. But boy, we sure had a good time."

8 comments:

Kim said...

Those are the days that make memories...for you and the students!

Don M. said...

it seems you have a flair for insect drama! to bad your gentlemen friend wasn't around to intervene.haha

chantell said...

Yeah, Kim, that one'll go down in the annals of my teaching career.

And, yes, anonymous fake Don M, I was thinking the same thing about my affinity for insect drama. But the can of Raid worked just fine sans the "gentleman."

Jewel said...

Oh, I hate roaches, Chantell! Ed, my husband, lived in Georgia a few years back and he said it was just a given that you had roaches there. They were tree roaches and he said they flew and dive-bombed you, even though the city came through twice weekly and sprayed for them! I'm glad to hear you "conquered" yours! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

screaming is definitely in order with the roaches

Anonymous said...

OH! I HATE cockroaches! Especially the kind that fly! Remind me to tell you all my horribly embarassing roach stories one day. They are woven all throughout my history; I think I'm a roach magnet, much to my dismay.

chantell said...

hahaha! A roach magnet! I'm afraid I may be one too. This may be like my third post having something to do with the demise of one of those nasty, ugly creatures.

Anonymous said...

THAT was funny! Hee hee. Boys will be boys. Just like a boy to pick it up by the antenna and "share" with the girls. ;]

My wife and I are battling a plague of mosquitos. One of our favorite things is going around the house yelling "More carnage!" We're nutty like that.