Monday, February 19, 2007

No Details

No details are necessary, really. I'll just start out by saying this: I hate how being single is starting to affect every breath I take. Perhaps I'm exaggerating. No, I am. But honestly, I'm really trying to do my thing and not worry about it. Why did I even write the word 'worry'? Why does it even enter my mind when I ponder my life as a Miss? I wonder if the view I think others have of me is actually just the view I have of myself.

Moving on. Secondly, I really question myself. On one hand, I semi-complain that I'm on this desert island, in this box, no one around to see the me that is bursting to get out. But then when someone puts himself out there, sincerely, letting me know that he does see the me, wanting to know if I'm willing, could I possibly . . . I slam the door before it's even open a crack. What is up with that? I'd like to think that it's because I know what I want. Or is it that I think I know what I don't want? Or is it that I'm just being stubborn and have an unrealistic idea of how these things are supposed to be?

And on. Thirdly, the perceived pressure. This (married) dude told me a dream that he had about me, for reasons unbeknownst to all creation, that, in short, I was so caught up in my career that I never made time for a man in my life and that he woke up from the dream right after I said that I was tired of life, lonely, and wanted to take own my life. Maybe it's just a silly dream, but I was concerned about you, sister. I was thinking to myself, you're such a great girl and you have a lot to offer a man . . . I was thinking in my dream, why don't you want to settle down? Good googly moogly, dude. Why did it enter your subconscious during REM sleep that I would get so caught up in my "career" that I would eschew all hope of Mr. Right, kids, et. al.? I didn't think I gave out an I-don't-need-a-man vibe. But neither am I giving out a damsel-in-distress vibe. Do I have to act like I want to be rescued? Please say it ain't so.

And still on. Fourthly, connected to the perceived pressure, is a chunk of the force behind my door slamming. I don't want to enter into something just because. Hey, I'm here. I wear a skirt. Hey, you're here, you wear pants. How 'bout it? Though the pants/skirt resignation was not the situation at hand, it still remains that I can't do something because I fear ending up like I was in old dude's dream if I don't. I fear more trying to make something happen that will ultimately fail. I fear hurting someone worse than I would with my door slamming by giving them false hope with unsure, hazy words, only to have to slam the door anyway on down the road because I should have realized from the get go that I could not will myself to feel. If you know that chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream is not what you crave, why would you mull over the prospect of eating it just because strawberry cheesecake (with a graham cracker ribbon) is not readily available?

And further on. Fifthly, I feel awful. I feel like an ungrateful, stiff, conflicted, self-absorbed little door-slammer. I hate feeling the need to cushion the bottom line with explanations. The honest reasons appear as half-baked excuses once they leave my mouth. I hate being the cause of hurt. It seems like all I've done lately when it comes to my desire for someone to see the me is slam doors. I can't think of one instance where someone claimed to see the me and I didn't ultimately slam the door. Perhaps some doors will get slammed in my face sometime to even the score? Well . . . I will admit there was a time or two that I sat pining by a wall, hoping that a door would somehow appear, but we all know how likely that was to happen.

Yikes. I can't end this on such a downer. The day that I swing the door open to someone without reservation will be a grand one indeed.

10 comments:

MotherT said...

Let me tell you, Chantell, the man that God has in mind for you will exceed your biggest dreams! I don't know how long you will have to wait for him, he may already be on the scene, but when the time is right you'll know it, and you'll recognize him for who he will be in your life. I don't know how many doors I slammed, before God (in a very round-about way) led me to my Wonder Husband, but he was very much worth waiting for!!!! Keep the faith, and keep looking in faith.

Jewel said...

Dear Chantelle...this has nothing to do with your heart-felt post but I thought you might enjoy reading Becky's blog where she posted 13 reasons why she hates Valentine's day. You can find it at http://rebeccaryan.blogspot.com
And would you please send me your email address? Thanks! God Bless!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chantell said...

Theresa, I know God has a plan for my life. I don't even think I would be ready for "Wonder Husband" if he showed up tomorrow. lol. I'm completely fine with where God has me now, honest, but a little vent may slip out every once in a while, in spite of myself.

Jewel, I read Becky's post on V Day. She's pretty funny.

And FYI: The above deleted comment was not anything nasty or offensive towards me. In fact, it was pretty witty (ontologically speaking, lol) and I originally published it, but then thought better of it and deleted it because I didn't want anyone to possibly get a little miffed (not anyone in any way connected to this post, btw).

brittanie said...

So this is completely unrelated to the subject at hand... but
how weird is it that I posted the SAME thing? Ha! I went about two weeks without reading anyone's blogs and I hadn't even read that post! So ironic! Maybe it's kinda cool that we are going thru the exact thing though?? =) Anyway. I just watched "One night with the King". AMAZING. I am going to watch it again tonight after church!

chantell said...

My fave part in "One Night" is the marriage scene. Not because they're getting married, lol, but because everything just looks so resplendent and gorgeous.

And though I think Esther is cute and the king is hot, my favorite character is Haman. He plays the villain so well, and he's so evil it's ridiculous--he actually provides comic relief to me. Anyway, I'm so excited that someone is as excited about the movie as I am!

And the Psalm 37 coincidence is crazy cool.

Anonymous said...

Nooooooooo. Not the dreamweaver date interpreter! I've been a victim of that and I was THIS CLOSE to marrying a godly woman that I would have been M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E with instead of the woman whom I adore. Dust that off your shoes and keep moving! ;]

To echo the well-put advice, keep the faith! Dios te bendiga!

Wendy said...

I So. Know. How. You. Feel. Mack wanted to watch the Esther movie the other night, and I couldn't bring myself to sit through it!

chantell said...

Wendy, Nooooooo! Please love the Esther movie! Love it for how fiercely handsome the king is. Love it for all of the gorgeous queenly dresses Esther wears. Love it for your cutie Mack. Please. Love it for me.

And thanks for feeling my pain. :-)

Anonymous said...

what the chicken is my mom doing getting to comment before I even saw this post? (sorry - pathetic blog friend that I am)

COMPLETELY gleaning from your experience here, so don't stop blogging about it.