Monday, January 30, 2006

You Sure Got a Blessing

For those familiar with A/P (Apostolic/Pentecostal) lingo, you know what it means to "get blessed." It usually involves some type of demonstrative worshipful behavior, akin to "shouting."

So last night we had one of those services. The ones where people get delivered and such like (I just realized my tone may sound irreverant, but I don't mean it to be). At an A/P church there are a range of ways that people worship God. Not everybody goes crazy and swings from the chandeliers. My mother, dear lovely lady that she is, is one of them that does, however. She is unashamedly vocal and demonstrative in her worship, and that's cool because that's her. My dad, wonderful man that he is, is not. He quietly raises his hands and is to himself. I usually fall into my dad's category. The way I respond when I'm really "touched" is by crying accompanied by glossolalia (the scientific term for speaking in tongues, lol). I stay in one place, am not loud, and try not to call attention to myself.

But every once in a while, yes, I do catch the Spirit and act a little bit more like my mom. Especially when I feel that God has heard me, that He has reassured me about whatever concerns that I have, and I just feel so overwhelmed with Him that I can't respond any other way. I am not ashamed of this. I really don't care how I look or whatever. Especially not during a service where everyone is pretty much gettin' their praise on.

But afterward is when it sometimes gets me. After the service is dismissed and everyone greets each other with "Praise the Lord"s before we go home. Example conversation:

Me: Hey, Sis. Such and Such, Praise the Lord! (hug)
Sis. Such and Such: Oh, Praise the Lord, Sis. Chantell. You sure got a blessing, didn't you?
Me: (sheepish laugh) Yeah . . . I did.

I don't know why it bothers me when people say "You sure got a blessing." I know perhaps I'm being petty, and God forgive me, but I feel like saying "Were you so busy watching me get blessed that you missed out on yours?" lol! But for real, I guess I know people say it good naturedly, like, not trying to make fun of me or anything, but when they say it, it makes me wonder "well, how did I look? I must've called so much attention to myself!" and I start feeling self-conscious.

I wonder if anyone else has the "you sure got a blessing" pet peeve. Or maybe it's just me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You sure cut a rug tonight!"

"I was just blessed seeing you get so blessed!"

or my absolute biggest "church" pet peeve... when really and seriously praying... you know.. already "in" that secret place of prayer with the Lord and then some sweet and oblivious lady comes up and starts patting my back or gently rubbing my shoulder,saying... "Bless her Lord!".... "That's right, honey.. just keep on praying.. God cares.. He'll help you!... just have a little talk with Jesus... that's the way!"
"Bless her, LORD!" rub, rub, pat, pat etc..

I then get so distracted I can't pray and sometimes feel outright resentful of somebody "intruding" on my talk with Jesus. It's always those times I don't "need" prayed for too... usually when I want to be prayed for I'll be left alone unless I get humble enough to ask for some prayer help.

Sigh... it's petty, or it wouldn't be a "pet peeve".. but it IS a peave... I hear you.. I really do!

chantell said...

Whew, I knew I wasn't alone! :-) And that "bless her Lord" business can be unnerving too. Right on.

Kwoya said...

my pet peeve about getting a blessing and being in the Spirit would have to be coming back. I hate leaving the prescense of God. I hate coming back to the world around me and having to look at people and deal with them again!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes it's hard not to become prideful in those situations. But remeber that Paul said, "If I be beside myself, it is unto the Lord."

Bro. Mark Morgan preached in our church a few weeks ago. He taught about aproaching the "tabernacle" with Worship and Sacrifice. So often we come to church and are totally satisified when the Song "service" takes over. We'll shout and dance till the sun comes up. We think we were truely blessed. And yes, God does bless in those instances.

But that worship was only in the "outter court" of the tabernacle. The place where the incense was. It is emotional worship. God pours out wave after wave of blessing. -good stuff-

What we desire though, is the "HOLY OF HOLIES" experience. When we pass through that veil of flesh and enter his highest courts just to touch his feet and hear his voice.

We've left behind ourselves for the gawkers and 'blessing junkies,' and clothed ourselves in God's presence. That's when people can truely say
"Yew shore got blessed to-naght" and we don't even care. We've touched throne of our maker!

Get yo praise on girl.