Friday, January 20, 2006

Ordinariness

There’s just something about sitting cozied up in lavender pajamas on a Thursday night. Nothing spectacular, though . . . it’s actually pretty ordinary. Commonplace, everyday, mundane. What’s blog-worthy about feeling comfy in my pj’s? I guess the “something” is part of my continual quest to feel comfortable with the ordinary.

There is a part of me that has always had a hankering for the dramatic. I want something to be “going on” in my life, you know? Something new and exciting and interesting. Something titillating, something to keep me on the edge of my seat. Sometimes I fall into the trap of unconsciously creating drama for myself to thrive off of. But in the end, I realize that little tendency of mine is utter foolishness. Sometimes I think I hear God telling me, “Girl, sit down.”

I want to get to the point where I am comfortable with the ordinariness of my life. I don’t want to have a dark yearning in my heart, wishing that I were in another place, being let out of my box, doing bigger and better things. I want to be cool with the fact that more often than not, life consists of routine, and that it is not always a negative thing. We all need to be still and know that He is God, and I reasoned that maybe that’s what the ordinary times are for. I came across this quotation addressing the dearness of ordinary days that really resonated within me:

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in my pillow, or stretch myself taught, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return."
-- Mary Jean Iron

1 comment:

Kwoya said...

thats a nice quote