Thursday, September 01, 2005

Hurricane Katrina vs. Payday

Today was payday. But how in the world can I be happy-go-lucky about my first professional paycheck when people's houses are underwater? I mean it's like . . . ugh. I just can't fathom it. How can I be like, "Ooh, I'm gonna use that 30% off coupon at New York & CO this weekend" when people are just about killing each other over food and stuff? When floating dead bodies are being passed by to try to save people who are in even worse danger?

Oh, any time things happen like this, I feel so detached, so . . . out of touch. Because I feel like I can't relate and I feel spoiled and uncaring because I don't have to deal with it. I can sit in front of my laptop and reminisce and think about eating an omelet. Crazy.

Well, at church, we took up a special offering, because there were so many people connected to the church in these areas that were affected, and at least I put my 2 cents in. The least I could do, really. I just pray that God will help and comfort these people who are in such a dire situation right now.

2 comments:

Kwoya said...

it is a tough call...
you are caring- here's a hug (HUG).

Anonymous said...

Chantell, as a resident of New Orleans Metro, I thank you so much for you 2 cents!!! It was much appreciated. Nahh...It's been 7 years, but I know you way better than that. Thanks for ya'lls love and support. The body always works best in unity. God Bless ya'll.