Sunday, January 01, 2017

2017, right? Come on in!

Tomorrow P and I head back to our home base after spending time with his side of the family these past couple of weeks. Tomorrow is back to routine, work, preparation.  Doing what we do.  At first I was sort of bummed about the prospect of heading back, but now that I've had some time to reflect upon this past year and my goals and desires for this new year, I'm feeling more like, "Okay, let's do this."

This year was a humongous year of transition.  I graduated, we moved, I started a new job, P passed comps, is now dissertating, and started a new position himself.  A lot of change, a lot of adjustments to make.  I thank God that we have been able to successfully manage our many transitions this year.  It has drawn my husband and me closer together, and it makes me grateful for him and the strength of our relationship.  My husband is a handsome, kind, passionate, dedicated, consistent man.  I know that we will have to weather more transition in this new year and perhaps more difficult transitions than we've had previously.  But I'm confident in us, and in the hand of God binding us together.

There are plenty of desires that I wish for this new year, the main one is the desire to become a mother.  No, we didn't have a little Christmas surprise this month.  It's totally okay, though.  I'm resigned to being held in suspense each month indefinitely.  But I resolve not to get disappointed with negative pregnancy tests this year.  I'm truly confident it will happen when it's meant to.  Just as I can now see the perfection of God's timing with meeting and marrying my husband, with accepting my current position, with so many other things, I know that the perfection of His timing applies to our future children as well.

Here are a few concrete things I resolve for this year:

1. I want to work out at least 3 times a week, and I will take advantage of at least one of the free fitness classes offered at my place of employment.  I want to be intentional about taking care of my body, especially since we're planning to have a baby, and exercise offers physical and psychological benefits.

2. I want to be more intentional about my prayer life, and the main way I can achieve that is by being a better manager of my time.  I waste so much time.  I often let my evenings fritter away when I could be using that time to plan for the following day.  And my lack of preparation often makes for rushed mornings without time for prayer, devotion and reflection.  I want to consistently spend my evenings preparing for the following day and wake up in enough time to have at least 30 minutes of prayer and devotion each morning.

3. I want to read a financial planning book and a parenting/"preparing for baby" book with my husband.  Financial literacy is an area I feel very weak in, and it's something we could both stand to learn about and preparing ourselves to have a child is absolutely necessary.  Reading books about these topics is a concrete way to inform ourselves.

4. I want to say something or do something at least once a week to build up my husband's confidence and demonstrate my trust in him.  I often catch myself going back to my "I'll handle it" mentality from my single days.  What I realize is that it communicates to him that I don't trust him to do whatever needs to be done.  I want to be intentional about communicating my trust and confidence in him.

5. I keep putting this every year, but I seriously want to learn how to knit.  I noticed a group of older ladies at a knitting circle at a local coffee shop a little while ago.  Maybe the next time I see them, I can inquire.

I'm truly looking forward to what 2017 will bring.

No comments: