Monday, August 03, 2015

Done! (For now.)

The first thing I've finally cleared off my plate are thank you cards for the wedding!  Woo hoo!  Excuse me while I get my praise on right quick.  Y'all don't even know.  Like, I feel like I just took my burdens to the Lord and left them at the altar and got delivered for the first time in my world-weary, downtrodden, Jesus-needing life.  I feel like I just got brought out of the miry clay and got my feet set on a rock to stay and got a song put in my soul today, tho.

My sweet, sweet husband helped so much.  He refused to let me do it all by myself, even though I kind of tried to, but he was insistent.  I really appreciate that about him.  I have this big-sister, I'll-handle-it mentality a lot of times that I'm learning doesn't really fly in a marriage.  Not for the long haul.  

We sent off the ones that could be sent off.  It felt so good dumping those 90 some-odd cards into the mailbox.  You will be thanked.  You hear me?  You sent us waffle makers and can openers and picnic baskets and planned bridal showers and lingerie showers and sent CHC (cold hard cash) in wedding cards to us and you think you gonna get away without being thanked?  Nawl.  Like I said, you will be thanked.  And you are going to read every handwritten word in those handwritten cards and you will smile and get a warm fuzzy feeling inside and you will go to bed and sleep in peace, knowing that finally, at long last, you have been officially thanked.

Now for local church folks, it'll probably take me a month to actually hand out the cards, but, hey, the hard part is done.

The second thing I've cleared off my plate is this blasted online class.  It is ovah.  It is finished and it has given up the ghost.  Got those finals graded and and those grades posted and those reports printed out and put in the big boss's box.  The last class I'll ever teach pre-PhD.  Yup.  But of course no college-level course worth its salt is without a last minute email from a desperate student.  Is there aaannnnyyyythinng I can do?  It's like, girl, you got a freaking A minus.  Go saddown with all that.  No, you cannot do any last-minute extra assignments.  Especially not after I've busted it trying to get your finals graded and get final grades posted on time.  The grades are in and they're staying in.  Like, I feel like it's kind of disrespectful and presumptuous to even ask that.  It's like, my friend, you have earned the grade that you've earned and that's that.  Why should I give you special consideration?

So now that those two biggies have been checked off, the road has been cleared for plunging head first right back into dissertation writing.  I'm planning to finish re-reading the novel of my next chapter this week, I'll take a little beach break with my husband and his family next week, and then, get ready.  I'm about to wear my library carrel out.  It's all nice and reserved, I got my books all nice and set up in the bookshelves and I even bought a little chair cushion from Bed Bath and Beyond to put on the library's ugly little hard wooden chair so as not to wear down my natural padding.  It is bout to go DOWN.

2 comments:

Kwoya said...

Good for you! Get things done!!

Rebecca said...

Did you have any mystery gifts? Ones with no name associated with them? We had some of those. They still haunt me. The plaid pajamas and the clear vinyl overnight bag? The $50 Target gift card? Yeah, those folks never got their thank-you, and I've probably been blacklisted from future generosity. Oh, well!