Death and life are in the power of the tongue (Proverbs 18:21).
I've resolved to speak life this year.
Today's only the second day of the new year, and I've already caught myself breaking my resolution.
What I realize is that I allow a whole lot of negative, cynical things to come out of my mouth. What comes out of your mouth is what you accept as true. And what you accept as true is what you believe. And what you believe is what you will act upon. And what you act upon is what determines your life. Or death.
This year, I want to make a conscious effort to speak life. Speak positive, encouraging, uplifting things. Speak from a place of confidence in God. Speak from a place of assurance in my identity in Christ. Speak from a place of faith, not fear.
It's harder than it seems. Just today, I was toiling away at this dissertation fellowship application, and I said, "I am way in over my head on this one." But no. I remembered my resolution and said, "But I'm going to do it anyway." It's worth it. I am qualified. I was encouraged to go for it and I am going to follow through.
I'm tired of negative thoughts reigning in my mind and allowing them to come into existence by speaking them out loud. It truly is a trend I want to reverse.
When the new semester starts in a few days, I'm going to have to hit the ground running. It's going to be very intense. There are still so many unknowns. But I must remember to speak life in the midst of the intensity and in the midst of the unknown.
I had a little side resolution last year that I want to embark upon again this year and that is to learn something new. Some new skill or talent. Last year, it was gardening. This year I think it's going to be knitting. I've always wanted to learn how to knit.
For the longest time, I've been sort of taken with the idea that maybe one day I would inspire something creative. I've always wanted someone to write a song about me. Well, I listened to it today.
No comments:
Post a Comment