"Patience takes away all want. Your desire for the thing you wish is perhaps stronger than your desire for the will of God to be fulfilled in its arrival."
Ooh, zing. It made my brain juices churn, the blood in my bleeding heart run cold, my melancholic background music fade to uncomfortable silence. It was part of one of the most beautiful, most unsettling definitions of patience I had ever come across.
Ah, patience. As my hair grows a little longer, my skin a little clearer. As I notice oh, so slightly deeper lines near my eyes when I smile. As I grow a little less insecure, a little more resigned to going with life's flow. In your patience, possess ye your souls.
To celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary, my parents are renewing their vows tomorrow. My brothers and I are taking part in the ceremony. I'm no stranger to taking part in weddings (even though this is technically not a wedding) and neither am I a stranger to the inevitable "Next time, it'll be you"s, the most recent round of which has already started. Perhaps they'll be right this time. Ah, next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment