Thursday, March 31, 2011

"You have no power over me."

Some of you children of the 80s know what I'm talking about when I mention the movie Labyrinth. It's a muppety, fantasy flick featuring David Bowie as the seductive Goblin King and a teenaged Jennifer Connelly as Sarah, a girl who has to get through the Goblin King's labyrinth to get her baby brother back.

So after Sarah's gotten through the labyrinth, defeated the Goblin King's goblin army with her muppet friends, etc., she has a final showdown with him in this awesome inverted/upside down/winding staircase scene.


But in the end he still tries to get Sarah to give in. "Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave," he beckons. The whole movie she's been trying to remember this certain line from a fantasy play (also called Labyrinth) before entering the Goblin City. And she finally remembers it (and sorry, she does briefly use a mild expletive. I forgot about that part. Please skip it if it would offend you):



The Goblin King's game is up. The facade melts away. The key to her success the whole time was realizing the Goblin King actually had no power over her!

In a way, I sort of feel like Sarah after she remembers her line. There are negative things and icky lies that constantly work to bring me down. But I realized anew today, they have no power over me. Not unless I allow them to. To the Goblin Kings, Lord Henrys, Satan and his lying lies: You have no power over me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

totally cool, c. totally cool.

k