I laugh easily, and often boisterously. With my head thrown back, clutching my gut. Doubled over, covering my wide-open mouth, wiping away tears. I laugh because of the simple, amusing things that parade across our lives every single day. I laugh due to old inside jokes remembered like a welcome friend. Because of absurdity that would otherwise be surreal. Because of clever puns, children's speech and conceptions of the world, spot-on impressions, the theatricality of politics, the confusion that results because of cultural and linguistic difference. I laugh when my friends label real life people and situations with literary and cinematic references. I laugh because of my brothers' exaggerated accounts of what happened when we were kids.
I'm naive. I trust easily. I'm taken in by things I consider exotic and different and foreign. I romanticize. Fetishize. I construct impossible ideals only to knowingly watch them fall apart.
I'm a critic, sometimes a cynic. I notice everything out of place. I question relentlessly. I analyze choices to the point of paralysis, oblivion.
I smile a lot and often really hard. Sometimes pictures of myself scare me because of the ability to literally count my teeth because they're that big and defined.
I'm a procrastinator. I let things build up into a time-crunched frenzy, and eventually complete the task in a tiring, unnecessary marathon, propelled by the adrenaline-rush of a looming deadline.
I always take the long way. No matter what it is, it seems like there was always a shorter, more efficient way to do what I just did or to get to where I just arrived.
Things are usually not as complicated as I make them out to be.
After all these years, I still don't know what I'm supposed to be doing.
3 comments:
just because there are no comments doesn't mean you're not being heard. ditto for 'memory' and 'focus'.
Thanks for stopping by and letting me know I'm being heard.
Not having comments doesn't bother me at all . . . most of what I write isn't provocative enough to really elicit them.
I usually get the most comments whenever I post something in support of Obama or whenever there's anything having to do with a guy . . .
dearest chauney, i just caught up today. i'm glad to know that you've figured out certain things about yourself and that you are in touch with yourself emotionally. it's a part of being a woman. recognizing and accepting things about yourself.i think that you are a beautiful person and i believe that several others believe the same thing as well. i believe that things are going to work themselves out. i believe that there is a path, even if you can't look down and see it. i love my great friend.
kwoya
Post a Comment